On Wednesday, a mayoral candidate from Connecticut who lost three consecutive votes to the sitting Democratic mayor said that he would be continuing in the contest. The re-run was prompted by accusations of ballot box stuffing, which led to the original election.
I have spoken with my backers, and we have chosen to continue with this campaign since every voter gets a vote in the end to determine who will serve as mayor of Bridgeport.
Although Mayor Joe Ganim cast doubt on Gomes's candidacy, the Independent Party candidate said he was within his rights to be on the ballot for the emergency general election on February 27.
Accused of suspected breaches of election laws and of having some of his followers turned away during the last primary, Gomes voiced his concerns while surrounded by his fans. For the purpose of reviewing absentee votes and applications, his campaign has asked for them.
This cycle will persist indefinitely, he said, "if elected officials continue to turn a blind eye towards the actions in Bridgeport."
Following Ganim's victory in last week's primary, Gomes has been urged to withdraw from the lengthy and complex battle. After serving seven years in jail for corruption during his first tenure as mayor from 1991 to 2003, Ganim is vying for re-election to a third four-year term.
Ganim apologized for his actions after serving his sentence and was subsequently appointed to the position in 2015. The city's previous interim chief administrative officer, Gomes served under Ganim.
City council members and Democratic governor Ned Lamont have pleaded with Gomes and two other candidates, David Herz (a Republican) and Lamond Daniels (a petitioning candidate), to withdraw from the upcoming fourth election for the position of mayor of the city, which has been scheduled since September.
STAY TURNED FOR DEVELOPMENT