On Tuesday, Daniels announced his withdrawal, stating that he could not "see a rationale for continuing an unwinnable campaign in the new general election." Herz has already stated that he will withdraw from the race if Daniels and Gomes also do. Someone left a note for Herz to respond to on his intentions.
Ganim had narrow victories in the September primary—which the judge later threw out—and the November general election—which the judge later ruled did not count. Ganim seemed to have won last week's primary by a wider margin than previously reported, with 5,775 out of 14,775 votes cast in the city situated around 60 miles (100 kilometers) east of New York City. The official tally was 4,375.
The voters in the heavily Democratic city have already shown their desire for Gomes' reelection, according to Ganim, who blasted him for remaining in the campaign.
"Aside from the few wild claims being made by the Gomes campaign, there is absolutely no justification for requesting and mandating an additional $120,000 from the city of Bridgeport for the fourth election in as many months," Ganim stated.
As the elderly voter entered the polls on a chilly winter day to cast her ballot in the do-over primary, the mayor said she watched her every step with a cane to prevent herself from falling.
Judge William Clark of the Superior Court reversed the September primary after a lengthy court hearing during which two Ganim supporters, who were allegedly caught on camera stuffing absentee ballots into ballot boxes, invoked their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and refused to answer questions. If there was still more than one contender left in the contest, Clark called for a fresh primary and a general election.
According to Clark, "the volume of ballots so mishandled is such that it calls the result of the primary election into serious doubt and leaves the court unable to determine the legitimate result of the primary." This was said in the judgment.
Ganim has also accused the Gomes campaign of breaking election laws, but he denies knowing about the purported absentee ballot stuffing. At this time, there are many investigations underway. Claiming that the 2020 election had been stolen, the argument quickly gained traction on far-right and right-wing social media.
STAY TURNED FOR DEVELOPMENT